Reflective Questions

What are Digital and Communication Technologies?

In the modern age, technology has thrived and continued to improve on a daily basis, with no end in sight. Digital technologies are advancing in astronomical ways. From the original computers and phones created in the 1980’s, to the wide range of computers, laptops, tablets, mobile phones, gaming consoles, virtual reality headsets and many others; digital technologies can be defined as an electronic device or tool that assists in communication, creating and obtaining resources, storage and entertainment. (Land, I & Huber, J, 2016) I personally believe that the advancements made towards digital technologies are a positive thing as it creates new levels of communication, new job possibilities and better ecological effects. (Australiancurriculumeduau, 2016) The IT industry is a booming market with plenty of job opportunities to anyone that is willing to learn. (Worldwidelearncom, 2016) The use of virtual files and documents contribute for the discontinuation of paper use, helping preserve the environment. 

Communication technologies and digital technologies, while both are pieces of technology, are not used for the same purposes. Communication technologies focus purely on communication in any forms, this includes visual, audio or textual. Since the invention of the internet, international communication has never been easier. Statistics show that the average Australian household possess an internet connection, with over 85% of households having access to internet. (Absgovau, 2016)

(Absgovau, 2016)

(Absgovau, 2016)

Just as digital technologies improves the environment, so too does communication technologies. The massive decline in the postal system has had a direct correlation with a decrease of ecological destruction in pursue of paper. (Land, I & Huber, J, 2006) I believe that the communication technologies provide a much needed service towards society as it allows for easy international, interstate and local communication. Both of these technologies have developed into necessities for billions of individuals around the globe, showing that it truly changes the world in a positive way. 

“Why are they important to me?” 

Both of these technologies are important to me because I personally use multiple different forms on a daily basis. They allow me to connect to my acquaintances,  friends and family at any time of the day. I can also can create new relationships through different forms social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Google Plus, Snapchat and Instagram. These are not the only ways of creating and maintaining relationships, there are an abundance of gaming consoles and online games that can be used to meet new people and participate in fun activities with friends. Communication is a major part of my day-to-day life and having the internet and all these forms of communication I am able to do what I like. 

Communication isn’t the only aspect I appreciate, I am also very glad I am able to type as opposed to writing. As a child, I was never neat with my handwriting, this was caused in part by my height and having to haunch down whenever I wrote. I have adapted to typing much faster than I did with my handwriting and I fear that without this technology I would not survive university life. I am very grateful for the technology I have access to and I believe that the positives produced by these forms of technology such as instant communication, online shopping and job creations outweigh the negatives like job loss and deception. Technology will hopefully continue to advance as the wants and needs of society have progressed to a more technological standpoint. This is how I believe digital and communication technologies positively contribute to both local and international communities and why I feel they are important.

References

Absgovau. (2016). Absgovau. Retrieved 9 September, 2016, from http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8146.0

Australiancurriculumeduau. (2016). Australiancurriculumeduau. Retrieved 9 September, 2016, from         http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/technologies/digital-technologies/curriculum/f-10?layout=1

Land, I & Huber, J. (2006). Introduction. Foundations and Trends in Communications and Information         Theory227.

Land, I & Huber, J. (2016). Can New Digital Technologies Support Parasitology Teaching and Learning?. Trends in Parasitology, 32(7), 522-530.

Qldgovau. (2016). Qldgovau. Retrieved 9 September, from        http://education.qld.gov.au/actsmartbesafe/students/technology/

Worldwidelearncom. (2016). Worldwidelearncom. Retrieved 9 September, 2016, from        http://www.worldwidelearn.com/online-education-guide/technology/information-technology-major.htm